What is sciatica? Sciatica is a condition that causes pain to move along the sciatic nerve, radiating from your lower back, down through your buttocks and hips and into your leg. In most cases, sciatica will only affect one side of the body, and although the pain can be severe, there are several non-surgical solutions that will reduce the pain and restore your mobility. At our clinic, we will determine the underlying cause of your sciatica and design a treatment plan that’s customized just for you to get the best possible results.
Sciatica Pain Treatment
Chiropractic care is an effective treatment for sciatic pain. Through regular spinal adjustments, misalignments will be corrected and the shotting pain your experience will diminish to the point that you can have your quality of life back. With each adjustment, gases like carbon dioxide, nitrogen and oxygen are released from your joints, creating an audible crack. As the pressure is relieved, you will experience pain relief without having to resort to surgery or drugs.
Some of the other treatments we use that can help your sciatic pain include:
- Massage Therapy – increases blood flow and reduces pain
- Acupuncture – blocks the flow of Qi energy in the meridians of your body
- Physical Therapy – uses specific exercises and equipment to facilitate healing
- Spinal Decompression – stretches your spine and restores the natural spaces between vertebrae
Sciatic Nerve Pain Relief
Left untreated, the sciatic condition can continue to worsen, making your daily routine difficult to impossible. Many people turn to over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medication and muscle relaxants, but this is a temporary solution. Doctors may recommend treating severe cases of sciatica with surgery. It’s important to note that masking the pain symptoms with painkillers won’t address the underlying cause and the pain will continue to affect your life.
Several factors can lead to sciatica, including disc injuries and bulges, which occur when a disc presses against the nerve root. Other causes include:
- A herniated disc
- Poor posture
- Repetitive use injuries
- Trauma from accidents
- Spinal misalignments due to pregnancy
- A pinched nerve
- Infections that irritate the sciatic nerve
- Internal bleeding near the sciatic nerve
- Degenerative diseases such as arthritis
Sciatica, also known as sciatic neuralgia, can make sitting and standing difficult and may lead to weakness, tingling, and numbness that runs down your leg and foot.
Some of the common symptoms include:
- Pain in the lower back, down the thigh, running below the knee.
- Shooting pain that makes it difficult to stand up.
- Pain in your rear end or leg that gets worse when you sit down
- Hip pain
- Burning or tingling down your leg
- A nagging pain on one side of the rear
- Weakness and numbness that makes it difficult to move your leg or foot
There is no need to suffer through pain when all-natural, non-surgical solutions are available. If you are looking for effective and long lasting relief for sciatica in Indianapolis, Glendale, Broad Ripple or any nearby city in Indiana, call us today at (317) 257-2225 to schedule a complimentary consultation. Our chiropractor will create a specific treatment plan just for you that will help you find the relief you’ve been looking for.